Maintenance is very crucial for any product that you want to last long. A best golf cart battery is costly; thus, once you buy, you shouldn’t think of a replacement any time soon. It would be best to have the proper maintenance tips to ensure that your cart is always in excellent condition. In case of failure, repair is inevitable; therefore, you require the correct procedure to repair your battery. In this article, I will give you maintenance tips and repair procedures to keep your battery efficient and durable.
Ensure you use the batteries more often
For efficient use, your should charge them at least once in two months. If you are a dweller in hotter climates, the frequency should increase. It’s not easy to say that you will use your cart more often or on a seasonal basis but ensure the batteries have charge.
Ensure the battery is clean, tight, and dry
To clean the batteries, use a solution of baking soda and water and a bristle brush. You will need personal protective equipment. Also, ensure that you use an anti-corrosive spray to prevent corrosion, leading to rusting in the long run.
Give your battery a reasonable charge.
Regardless of the time, you use your battery, at all times, could you give it a reasonable charge? In addition, do not allow your cart battery to go below 20%. Drain your battery below, requiring you to have more full charge cycles that will eventually destroy its power storage ability. Overnight charging is highly advisable since the battery will get to complete charging without any disturbance. Moreover, the quality of the charger plays a crucial part. Check on the online customer reviews, and you will get a suitable product.
Other maintenance tips include:
- Never charge frozen batteries
- Always fill the battery cells but be careful not to overfill
- When charging, ensure that you do not overcharge the batteries as you will be reducing their life cycle
- Check the water levels regularly and fill them when needed. Use distilled water to fill the batteries. Tap water contains impurities that will end up destroying your battery.
- Firstly, you need gloves and eye protection. Moreover, when repairing, ensure the environment is well ventilated.
- Remove the battery from the cart and drain the fluid into an acid-resistant container. Add a base and, in this case, use baking soda to neutralize the acid and dispose of .of it.
- Mix a solution of Epson salts with distilled water and fill it into each cell
- Now recharge your battery and upon the total charge, replace the caps and fix it back to your cart.
Those mentioned above are just some tips that you can use to extend your battery life cycle. Moreover, the repair procedure is simple, and I hope you will understand. In addition, Golf cart batteries tend to be in for long periods without use; thus, the sulfation effect tends to come in. to avoid such, you can use a conventional charger to keep them in a good state.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does a cart battery take to charge fully?
The amount of time depends on the type of battery. However, it is advisable to charge for a period of between 8-10 hours.