If you seek a versatile investment plan combining life insurance and market-linked gains, you have likely heard of ULIPs. ULIP stands for Unit Linked Insurance Plan, a life insurance product that invests a portion of your premium in equity, debt, or balanced funds. Select a fund aligning with your risk tolerance, investment timeline, and financial objectives.
But what if your choice of fund changes over time? What if you want to switch from a high-risk equity fund to a low-risk debt fund as you grow older? Or what if you want to take advantage of the market opportunities and invest in a fund that offers higher returns? This is where premium redirection in ULIPs comes in handy.
Table of Contents
What is Premium Redirection?
Having understood ULIP meaning, let’s understand what is premium redirection. Premium redirection is a feature that allows you to change the allocation of your future premiums to a different fund of your choice. For example, suppose you have initially chosen to invest 100% of your premium in an equity fund, but later, you decide to invest 50% in a debt fund and 50% in a balanced fund. In that case, you can use premium redirection to make this change. This way, your future premiums will be invested in the new fund proportion, while your existing units will remain in the old fund.
How Does Premium Redirection Differ from the Fund Switch?
Premium redirection and fund switch are both features of ULIPs, but they serve different purposes. As already discussed, the former allows you to change the allocation of your future premiums among various funds. It is about deciding where your new money goes.
On the other hand, a fund switch lets you move the existing money in your funds from one to another within your ULIP. It is about changing the investments you have already made.
Why Should You Use Premium Redirection in ULIPs?
Premium redirection in the ULIP scheme can help you optimize your investment strategy and achieve your long-term financial goals. Here are some benefits of using premium redirection:
- You can match your investment to your evolving risk tolerance. As you grow older, you might prefer lowering your exposure to market fluctuations to safeguard your capital. Through premium redirection into a more secure fund, you can preserve your wealth and experience tranquillity.
- You can diversify your portfolio and balance your returns. Investing in different types of funds can spread your risk and enhance your returns. You can also take advantage of the market movements and switch to a fund that offers better growth potential.
- You have the opportunity to gain tax advantages through your ULIP investment. ULIPs provide tax benefits according to Section 80C and Section 10(10D) of the Income Tax Act. The premiums paid for ULIPs qualify for deductions of up to Rs. 1.5 lakh under Section 80C. Moreover, the maturity proceeds from ULIPs are tax-exempt under Section 10(10D), with specific conditions to meet. Utilizing premium redirection allows you to maintain these tax advantages while keeping your existing units intact.
How to Use Premium Redirection in ULIPs?
Using premium redirection in ULIPs is simple and convenient. You can use this feature anytime during the policy term before the due date of your next premium. Here are the steps to use premium redirection:
- Log in to your online account with your insurer or visit their branch office.
- Select the option of premium redirection from the menu.
- Choose the new fund or funds you want to invest in and specify the allocation percentage for each fund.
- Confirm your choice and submit the request.
- Your request will be processed within a few days, and your future premiums will be redirected to the new fund proportion.
Things to Remember While Using Premium Redirection in ULIPs
While premium redirection in ULIPs is a useful feature, there are some things that you should keep in mind while using it:
- Premium redirection does not affect your existing units or their value. It only changes the allocation of your future premiums.
- Premium redirection does not incur any charges or fees. However, there may be a limit on how many times you can use this feature in a year. Check with your insurer for the details.
- This feature does not guarantee higher returns. The performance of the funds depends on various factors such as market conditions, fund management, expenses, etc. Do your research and analysis before choosing a fund.
- Premium redirection does not change your life cover or other benefits of the policy. It only changes the investment component of the policy.
Premium redirection in ULIPs is a powerful feature that gives you more control over your investment plan. It helps you adapt to the changing market scenarios and align your investment with your financial goals. Using this feature wisely lets you optimize your portfolio and maximize your returns.